ΠΜΣ Στρατηγικές Διαχείρισης Περιβάλλοντος, Καταστροφών και ΚρίσεωνLibrary of the School of Science
Ευθύμης Λέκκας Καθηγητής (Επιβλέπων), Παναγιώτης Νάστος Καθηγητής, Στυλιανός Λόζιος Επίκ. Καθηγητής
Αντιμετώπιση πλημμυρικών φαινομένων σε νησιωτικές περιοχές: Η περίπτωση της Σύρου
Addressing Flood Phenomena in Greek Insular Areas: The Case of Syros
This masters' thesis is an attempt to study the historic flood data of the
wider island archipelago of the Cyclades and in particular of the island of
Syros. It focuses on an analysis of the causes and the characteristics of flood
events in that area. More specifically for Syros, an attempt has been made to
survey and calculate the degree of flood risk in each area and at the same time
assess the causes and ways to contain a future flood event.
Historical flood data in Cyclades and Syros has been studied, as well as
climate and hydrological data. In combination, both flood-preventing
infrastructures and institutional framework have been investigated, and the
following conclusions have been presented:
• In the study area flood events are rather rare.
• Despite the fact that these events are rare, they cause notable damage
to infrastructures, properties etch.
• Flood events in the study area are caused by the most common flood
type in Greece, i.e. heavy rainfall.
• In Cyclades islands one quarter to one half of the annual rainfall
quantity can occur in only 24 hours
• Response readiness is not very high compared to other areas of the
• 3 out of the 4 flood events in Syros have taken place during the last
• The most vulnerable areas in is the area Syros of Kini and Stratopedo.
Syros, Rainfall, Streams, Flood event, Basin
Number of index pages: