The prevalence of colon cancer on patients admitted to the emergency department due to bowel obstruction

Postgraduate Thesis uoadl:2839655 71 Read counter

Unit:
Κατεύθυνση Χειρουργική Ογκολογία
Library of the School of Health Sciences
Deposit date:
2019-01-21
Year:
2019
Author:
Kotrogiannis Ioannis
Supervisors info:
Διονύσιος Βώρος, Ομότιμος Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ
Γεώργιος Φραγκουλίδης, Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ
Θεόδωρος Θεοδοσόπουλος, Αναπληρωτής Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ
Original Title:
Η ανάλυση του ποσοστού κακοήθειας παχέος εντέρου σε ασθενείς που προσήλθαν στο ΤΕΠ με εικόνα ειλεού
Languages:
Greek
Translated title:
The prevalence of colon cancer on patients admitted to the emergency department due to bowel obstruction
Summary:
Objective: Bowel obstruction is frequent at the Accident and Εmergency Department, on the grounds that 5-6% of patients are admitted due to that cause. This study aims to underline the prevalence of colon malignancy in patients who were treated at the Accident and Emergency Department of “KAT” General Hospital due to bowel obstruction.

Materials and Methods: Between 2013-2017, 110 patients were treated in our department due to bowel obstruction. The patients’ mean age was 64 years old (range 20-88 years old), while 28 of them were females (25%) and the rest 82 (75%) males. Before the patients’ admission, complete clinical evaluation and laboratory investigation were carried out.

Results: 72% of the patients underwent surgical intervention. Among them, 2 patients were operated due to sigmoid colon volvulus, 8 patients underwent bowel resection due to umbilical hernia strangulation, in 2 patients typical inguinal hernia surgical repair was performed, 2 patients underwent sigmoid colon resection via Hartmann procedure due to diverticulitis,in 30 patients resection of abdominal adhesions was carried out, 20 patients underwent colectomy due to colon cancer. 2 patients underwent right hemicolectomy due to Crohn’s disease, 3 patients were operated due to bowel obstruction because of intraperitoneal extralumen tumors and 3 due to generalized intraperitoneal carcinomatosis.

Colclusions: According to the data of our Department, it is concluded that colon cancer was present at the 18% of the patients who were admitted to the Accident and Emergency Department due to bowel obstruction.
Main subject category:
Health Sciences
Keywords:
Bowel obstruction, Large bowel cancer, Colectomy, Abdominal adhesions, Acute abdomen
Index:
No
Number of index pages:
0
Contains images:
Yes
Number of references:
17
Number of pages:
54

Kotrogiannis Ioannis Master.pdf
14 MB
File access is restricted only to the intranet of UoA.