Investigation of the psychological state of women who are going to undergo mastectomy for breast cancer

Postgraduate Thesis uoadl:2883631 75 Read counter

Unit:
Κατεύθυνση Χειρουργική Ογκολογία
Library of the School of Health Sciences
Deposit date:
2019-10-24
Year:
2019
Author:
Seidou Sofia
Supervisors info:
Κωνσταντίνος Γ. Τούτουζας, Αναπληρωτής Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ, Επιβλέπων
Δημήτριος Θεοδώρου, Αναπληρωτής Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ
Νικόλαος Μιχαλόπουλος, Επίκουρος Καθηγητής, Ιατρική Σχολή, ΕΚΠΑ
Original Title:
Προεγχειρητική ψυχολογική εκτίμηση ασθενών που πρόκειται να υποβληθούν σε μαστεκτομή για καρκίνο του μαστού
Languages:
Greek
Translated title:
Investigation of the psychological state of women who are going to undergo mastectomy for breast cancer
Summary:
Introduction: Women suffering from breast cancer are more likely to have mental health disorders than healthy women. The low level of education, the low income and the absence of partner/spouse are significantly associated with depression in breast cancer patients.
Aim: The aim of the thesis was to investigate the psychological state of women who are going to undergo mastectomy for breast cancer, with emphasis on levels of anxiety and depression and the factors that are related to the appearance of anxiety and depression preoperatively.
Material and Methods: A cross-sectional survey was conducted. The sample of the study was consisted of 82 women with breast cancer who are going to undergo mastectomy. The anxiety and depression levels were assessed using the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS).
Results: The mean age of participants was 56.8±12.9 years. Most of them were married (68.3%), with children (87.5%), Greek (93.6%) and Orthodox Christians (97.4%). From all participants, the 70 (85.4%) were going to undergo single mastectomy and the remaining 12 (14.6%) bilateral mastectomy. 51.2% had pathological stress levels and 31.7% pathological levels of depression. On the one hand, women with pathological levels of stress were younger, mostly non-smokers and smoke fewer cigarettes per day in statistical significant level (p <0.05). On the other hand, women with pathological levels of depression were younger, the majority of them were not Greeks and Orthodox Christians and had higher level of education in statistical significant level (p <0.05).
Conclusions: The factors that were found to affect participants’ stress levels were the young age, the reduced smoking rates and the smaller number of cigarettes per day, while the factors that were found to affect participants’ depression levels were young age, non-Greek nationality, non-Orthodox Christian religion and the higher level of education.
Main subject category:
Health Sciences
Keywords:
Anxiety, Depression, Breast cancer, Smoking HADS scale
Index:
No
Number of index pages:
0
Contains images:
No
Number of references:
79
Number of pages:
50

Seidou Sofia MSc.pdf
1 MB
File access is restricted only to the intranet of UoA.